Is it just me, or are we all guilty of those before bed Tastemade binges? The very addictive videos pop up on our facebook feeds and the next 5 to 10 minutes are spent drooling over scrumptious looking meals and the easy ways to make them. It’s a torturous night time debauchery.
I’m always saving links to interesting recipes and meals with the best of intentions. But find myself forgetting to ever go back, because there is always something newer or more enticing. This time however, I went back & was pretty chuffed I did.
My brother was hosting an event in association with Movember and so my midnight indulgences could be called upon. I had recently seen a spectacular video by In The Kitchen With Katie and thought, this was the perfect opportunity to try it out, yes you guessed it, a Moustache Cake !!!!!
*If you have the resources, you can still donate to a good cause. Team Roders is the official fundraising link to my brothers’ Movember team.
200 grams Plain flour
45 grams Cocoa powder
2 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
100 grams Soft light brown sugar
180 grams Caster sugar
80 grams Unsalted butter
240 ml Whole milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
450 grams Icing sugar
150 grams Unsalted butter
35-40 ml Whole milk
500ml Double cream
- 500 grams Chocolate, finely chopped (I use a mix of milk & dark)
A really easy cake to make but just a few tips:
- For God’s sake, let them cool down COMPLETELY before trying to put on the coat of buttercream icing or you will have a crumbly mess.
- If you attempt this cake and have a time limit, make the ganache frosting and buttercream icing in advance, it will save you pulling out your hair.
- Chop those chunks of chocolate down, the warm cream won’t melt the bigger ones fast enough.
- Invest in a proper mixer, the handheld ones just won’t do or do what I did and manually whisk *Do not attempt this if, like me, you have little to no upper body strength it takes forever.
*For the full recipe visit www.tastemade.co.uk/videos/moustache-cake